Philosophers at Risk Visiting Scholar
You are here
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the consequent global travel restrictions the application process for the Philosophers at Risk fellowship is suspended until further notice. You may submit an application at any time, but please be advised that decisions may not be forthcoming for a while, and the fellowship itself may need to be postponed, depending on global health and travel conditions.
The Program on Ethics and Public Life at Cornell University invites applications to the Philosophers at Risk Visiting Scholar Fellowship for the academic year of 2020-21.
The visiting position is for a duration of 2–4 months, anytime during the academic year at Cornell. The fellowship provides air-travel expenses; a stipend of $7,000–$9,000 (depending on duration of stay); assistance with US visa application; support, as needed, for health insurance coverage; full access to library and other scholarly resources at Cornell; and other, informal, academic assistance as may be needed. The visiting fellow will be hosted by the Sage School of Philosophy at Cornell.
Cornell University is a member of the Scholars at Risk Network, an organization that was established to protect scholars and promote academic freedom.
Who may apply
Application is open to any scholar with a PhD working in philosophy, who is:
- at serious risk of political, ethnic, or religious harassment or persecution in their country of residence
- a refugee or in danger of having to emigrate for political or safety reasons
- at risk in their life or work due to persecution or violence of any kind
The applicant’s field of research has to be in philosophy, broadly construed. The fellowship neither prioritizes nor excludes any method, sub-field, or tradition in philosophy.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted via the application form. The required items to submit are:
- CV in English
- A brief statement (up to one page) explaining the applicant’s “at risk” status
- A writing sample (e.g. article or book chapter) in English
- A brief (up to one page) description of the research plans for the visit, including the preferred length of visit
- Name and contact information for two senior scholars who can provide letters of reference on your behalf
When to apply
The deadline for submitting applications is March 15th, 2020. The fellowship will be awarded on a competitive basis, reviewed by the steering committee, taking into account academic excellence, urgency of needs, and other relevant circumstances.
For further information please send your query to email@example.com.