I study Ancient Greek Philosophy: primarily Plato and Aristotle, but also the Stoics, Skeptics, Epicureans, Pre-Socratics, and late Platonists.
- You will find links to pdfs of the papers below, and to many other of my papers, chapters, reviews, etc., at my Academia.edu website.
- academic article
- Essay on Simplicius' Commentary on Epictetus' Encheiridion (co-authored with Charles Brittain)
- Two Modal Theses in the Second Half of Metaphysics Theta.4. Phronesis. 39:160-173. 1994
- Criterion and Appearance in Sextus Empiricus: The Scope of Sceptical Doubt, The Status of Sceptical Belief. Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies. 39:151-169. 1994
- The Text of Anaxagoras Fragment DK 59 B22. The American Journal of Philology . 116:533-537.1995
- Reasonable Impressions in Stoicism. Phronesis. 41:318-334. 1996
- Epicurus on Sex, Marriage, and Children. Classical Philology. 91:346-352. 1996
- Pyrrho on the Criterion . Ancient Philosophy. 18:417-434. 1998
- Reservation in Stoic Ethics. Archiv fur Geschichte der Philosophie. 82:149-177. 2000
- The Stoic Life : Emotions, Duties, and Fate . New York : Oxford University Press. 2005
- Ethics and Epistemology in Sextus Empiricus. New York: Garland Publications. 1999
- Stoic Moral Psychology. The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics. 2003
- The Old Stoic Theory of the Emotions. The Emotions in Hellenistic Philosophy. 1998
- Socrates and Epictetus. A Companion to Socrates.
In the news
- Philosopher Nicholas Sturgeon dies at age 77
- Student melds humanities, sciences to find her intellectual community